Thursday, March 9, 2023

Book Review: "Angel's Creed" by Paul Sating


 

Making enemies is easy. Stopping them from killing you is the challenge.

I’m more than just a Grim Reaper, assassin, and demon hunter. I’m also the target of subterfuge.
With plenty of enemies already, by assassinating the Nephilim who stole the First Bowl of Wrath, I’ve now made a powerful one. But I’m not done. The Nephilim are holding their cards close. Protecting someone. Who? Why? What’s everyone hiding?
The First Bowl released a worldwide plague. Nephilim, disguised as monsters straight out of lore and urban legend, terrorize mortals. And now, I’ve got a bigger problem—literally.
Something is wrong in Heaven’s higher echelons. No one knows why God released His newest version of the behemoth. Yeah, that one. Straight out of the good old book.
Armed with nothing more than my Angelfire magic, trusty .327 Ruger, and charming freaking personality, my next job is to take down the overgrown lizard before it stomps around the world like Godzilla going through a bad detox. In the past, this job required teams of angels. This time, it’s just me.
I’ve got an ex I need to mend fences with while also going rogue to uncover who’s tampering with Yahweh’s plague machine before it’s too late for seven billion mortals.
I’ll have to fight like hell to uncover my enemies’ secrets before they put me on the wrong side of death. - from Booksirens.com
This eARC was given to me from Booksirens.com and I am providing an unbiased review.
This is the second book in the Rev Carter series, and I am glad to see it continue on! The story takes off pretty much from the first novel, so it would not read well as a stand-alone novel. Rev Carter has learned much more in this installment, being able to delegate some of his duties as Prime Reaper, which frees up more time to search for the behemoth that is loose in Pacific NW, and try to find out who released it.
I liked how the story flowed, and have enjoyed Rev's character building from the start. His personality is one I could get along with. There is some more relationship building between he and his 'partner', as some of the dialogue in this book helps explain part of Rev's past, and duties of his partner. We also learn more of Rev's ex-wife, whom also makes an appearance in the story.
Overall, I am enjoying this series, and look forward to hopefully a few more books, rather than tying it all off in a small trilogy. The writing was done where one could easily lose their self into the story, and quickly read through it.

No comments: