Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Book Review: "What We Saw" by Ryan Casey


If you stumbled upon a shocking mystery as a child, how would you react?

What We Saw tells the story of a young boy, Liam O'Donnell, his cousin, Adam, and their experiences at their grandparents' caravan site one summer. When the disappearance of their dog leads to a terrifying discovery deep in the nearby woods, Liam and Adam are plunged into a very adult world of morals and decisions, and find themselves trapped in the dark clutches of secrecy and suspicion, far transcending mere mystery.

What We Saw is a touching and thrilling British mystery novel that will have you hooked as the plot hurtles towards a shocking conclusion. - from Amazon.com

This is listed as a thriller novel, but I just didn't feel it. In fact, I would add that I felt it was more of a Young Adult book. The story starts off wonderfully introducing the main characters and location. From that point, I felt bogged down with extra daily routine, that didn't seem to have anything to do with any one thing in particular. I found myself skipping pages at a time to see if anything interesting happened. I was not a bit surprised about the ending, and felt more let down than thrilled. The writing itself was well done and easily read, with descriptive passages where needed, just a bit mundane and boring with what I felt were unnecessary details.

No comments: