Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Book Review: "Distant Star" by Joe Ducie


For Declan Hale, the Shadowless Arbiter, life has been simple since he ended the Tome Wars and forced a cruel peace in the mythical realms of Forget. Exiled to Earth for his crimes, Declan spends his days managing a small bookshop. 

So when a familiar looking corpse appears in the dead of night, spilling his scotch, Declan is less than amused. Especially because the body is his own. Someone--or something--has sent a calling card from the future. 

Daring him to confront his monstrous past.

The last time Declan went to war, Ascension City burned and eight million people lost their lives. The Knights and Renegades should have left him alone...

*~*~*~*

An urban fantasy story, the first in a series, that spans worlds, universes, and time. Join Declan as he battles friends, enemies, kings, and the gods themselves in his struggle for redemption. - from Amazon.com

The first book I read by Joe Ducie was a short story that I found on Amazon for free months ago. At least, I think that was where I found it. It was called The Forgetful Library, and was just a short story. I liked the Declan Hale character, and saw Ducie had this novel out, I was excited, yet it took me awhile to get around to actually getting it.

That being said, this novel, for my return to this realm, was awesome! Declan Hale has been exiled from his world, a world within the nether called Forget. I won't go into the details of why, but this story is of events that cause him to return to the event that created his exile. 

As I mentioned before, I loved the Declan character, and the supporting ones, though they are not really developed in the story aside from what is needed, they help provide the main character support. Plot and build-up were great, and the pace moved quickly throughout. In fact, things moved fast enough, there were times I would have liked a bit more detail/rumination. Knowing that there is a sequel, I won't expand about wanting to know more about the background of everything, as some may be revealed in the second book. Great read!

No comments: