Friday, June 28, 2013

Book Review: "The Sin Collector" by Jessica Fortunato


"The Sin Collector" follows the life of Liliana, a born Sin Collector. She has spent over 100 years absorbing people's sins so they may rest in peace come death. However when she meets another Collector, one who insists everything she has been taught is a lie, Liliana must make her way from sunny L.A. all the way to the streets of Madrid. Searching for answers to a question we all share. Why are we here? The friends and enemies she makes along the way only seem to blur the line between right and wrong. Can Liliana fight the Castus, an organization whose sole mission is to kill every Collector? Should she trust her head or her heart when the two most important men in her life are fighting alongside her?
Then there is the worst question of all, who will be left when the dust settles? - from Amazon.com


I don't recall how I came across this book, might have been included with a group of books a friend sent. Either way, the story synopsis didn't sound bad so I stated into it. Overall the story was a bit shorter than I expected, as I finished it in just a few hours. I would say it falls in my genre of reading (Fantasy/Urban Fantasy) and I loved the idea behind a type of people that go around collecting sins from regular humans. 

A couple issues I had while reading, and this may include some spoilers. 

One, the main character (female) though is supposed to be aged around 100 years give or take, acted/reacted to everything like a teenager. She is 'locked' in her physical form at age 20, so I don't know if we are supposed to blame this on hormones that are locked in at that age. These quivery/giggly teenager moments she has whenever a guy appears in the story.... sigh. Yet there is one quick sex scene than thankfully doesn't get very descriptive - I don't care to read about sex scenes. 

Second, when do we get to hear more of the collecting of sin? There was one scene where the main character did what she was trained to do, and supposedly had done for over half the years she has been around. Also, no one else was doing it. Yet there are many (guessing since it isn't really talked about) people that live this way.

Third, the ending was a bit disturbing. The guy she has been all googly about throughout the story is now out of the story (I won't say why), and now she gets together with the guy that was her 'trainer', who took her from the orphanage at a young age, and until the age of 20 was like a father figure to her. Whoaaaa.... so not cool. For this alone I would not want to classify this as YA, though it certainly seemed to aimed to that group of readers. 

I noticed that there is a second book available, that per its description, seems to possibility go back and cover more about the actual sin collecting, but it doesn't look like it would be a continuation of this book - more like a prequel. Though my few thoughts on the short-comings here, I may pick up the next book, just because it piques my interest.

No comments: