Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Book Review: "London Falling" by Paul Cornell


Police officers Quill, Costain, Sefton, and Ross know the worst of London—or they think they do. While investigating a mobster's mysterious death, they come into contact with a strange artifact and accidentally develop the Sight. Suddenly they can see the true evil haunting London’s streets.
Armed with police instincts and procedures, the four officers take on the otherworldly creatures secretly prowling London. Football lore and the tragic history of a Tudor queen become entwined in their pursuit of an age-old witch with a penchant for child sacrifice. But when London’s monsters become aware of their meddling, the officers must decide what they are willing to sacrifice to clean up their city. - from Amazon.com

If I remember correctly, I came across this book from a 'Books Similar to What You Have Picked' category, and after reading the story description, went ahead and picked it up. Being a bit of the urban fantasy reader, I thought it would be a bit interesting, and maybe even be a bit about London's darker, 'hidden' side, similar to Gaiman's "Neverwhere". I was a bit let down. After about one-fourth of the book, I was just disinterested in the story. I could not get into the characters, and having just gained some kind of paranormal sight from one person touching and object - it kind of lost me. I mean, one person touches, and three others (in the same room) gain this sight, too. Also, I felt the story dragged in getting started. Maybe this was early background story for character/story development, but it just wasn't grabbing my attention. Unfortunately, I did not finish the book, so the rating is low.

No comments: