Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Movie Review: "The In-Touchables"

Based on a true story, a quadriplegic aristocrat's world is turned upside down when he hires a young, good-humored ex-con as his caretaker. This unlikely duo overcomes adversity of every flavor as they shatter preconceptions of love, life and each other. - taken from Netflix.com

Being a film from a non-'Universal' sized company, I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this one last night. I vaguely remember putting it in the queue as an interesting sounding movie, base don the above synopsis. I had very little disappointment about the film.

Being based on a true story, I was leery. I evidently had not remembered this is a French film, thus for my US viewing pleasure, there were sub-titles. My middle son (about 10 years old) sat down with me, as the start of the movie showed some action scenes, and I found myself drawn more to the movie, as his reading was not quite good enough for the dialogue that was quickly shown and replaced at the bottom of the screen, detracting away from what was actually happening. I would pause every 10 minutes to be sure he knew what was going on.

Storyline- Phillipe is a quadriplegic, who also happens to be very filthy rich. Driss is a black man, who originally shows in a line of interviewees for a position as caretaker for Phillipe. Driss is basically looking for a signature so he can get France's version of unemployment (in my thinking). Due to the lack of pity, or of other things which I won't speculate on, Driss is hired and through the several months that pass, he and Phillipe grow into friends.

I found myself liking the movie, even if it was somewhat predictable. The lower-class Driss, working for an upper-class Phillipe, in a very personal nature (caretaker- think body baths, using the bathroom, etc). But I think in human nature, everyone loves this kind of story. There is even a bit of romance/matchmaking going on, which I won't share, so you still need to watch it.

Overall, I gave the movie a good 4.5 stars, as my only downside to it was the sub-titles. The Son, well, he went about halfway, and decided it wasn't his thing. But he is only 10.

No comments: