Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Book Review: "The Wizard, The Farmer, & the Very Pretty Princess" by Daniel Fox


The evil undead are marching. As the human kingdoms stand on the brink of extinction, the reluctant farmer Idwal is forced into adventure, shanghaied by a vain princess, tricked out of his money by a cackling miser, and finds much to his surprise that he's starting to like it all.

As he gets swept along he'll meet reluctant kings, wicked witches, mourning dwarves, and the surprisingly lively undead, as he is caught between the Princess Willuna who seeks to show herself a serious young woman and the wizard Bodolomous who is determined to prove himself The Most Evil Man Alive. - from Amazon.com

I was a bit surprised by this book. I think the title is what grabbed my attention, and for some reason I expected it to be a bit more serious than it turned out to be. At first, I wondered if I was reading a book written more with the younger readers in mind, then came across some of the witty passages. Fox has done a wonderful job mixing together what many of us consider regular fairy tales, into a larger story, adding humor, and maybe a bit of a moral lesson.

No comments: