Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Book Review: "Poisonwell" by Jeff Wheeler


The battle to save the kingdoms devastated by the Plague culminates in this exhilarating finale to the Whispers from Mirrowen trilogy.
If there is anything more dangerous than the Plague itself, it is the journey that awaits those sworn to stop it. Tyrus, the renegade magic-wielder exiled from Kenatos, knows this firsthand. His original mission through the Scourgelands met a tragic end, leaving him as the sole survivor.
Now all hope lies with his daughter, Phae, the uniquely gifted Dryad-born who can not only steal memories but also summon the power of the fireblood—and who alone has the power to breach the lost gate of Mirrowen. But first Phae and the comrades who have come to her aid must survive the most dangerous place on earth: the Scourgelands.
The menacing woods prove every bit as treacherous as reputed. Murder, sacrifice, deception, and an epic battle with a beast ensue. Will Phae reach the land beyond the grasp of the deadly Plague…or will the quest through the Scourgelands end in tragedy once again? - from NetGalley.com
This is the third book in the 'Whispers of Mirrowen' series by Jeff Wheeler, which I received in free in exchange for a review via Netgalley.com and Amazon Publishing.
I originally came across this author when I found THE WRETCHED OF MUIRWOOD on Amazon.com in the free ebook section. Now idea how long it had been lited there, but it sounded interesting. Since that time, I have not been able to NOT read any of his books I get my hands on. This trilogy is no exception, and in my opinion, shows how Wheeler's writing style has become smoother, and more involved than the earlier trilogy.
While reading the first two books of the series, at times I felt there were too many characters for me to keep track of, but by the end of the second novel, it could be no other way. As the final leg of their journey takes place, many of them grow in character and purpose. For a younger reader, I am sure they would love the way some of the characters mature from their childhood ideals.
What another great trilogy from J. Weaver! When I requested this book, I was happy I didn't have to wait long to get started on it, and it completely ended differently than what I expected. Wheeler did a wonderful job in creating and orchestrating this world and I have thoroughly enjoyed both series he has shared with the world. Looking forward to many more books from this author!!

No comments: