Monday, September 5, 2022

Book Review: "Outback" by Patricia Wolf


 Two missing backpackers. One vast outback.

DS Lucas Walker is on leave in his hometown of Caloodie, taking care of his dying grandmother. When two young German backpackers, Berndt and Rita, vanish from the area on their way to a ranch, he finds himself unofficially on the case. But why all the interest from the Federal Police when they have probably just ditched the heat and dust of the outback for the coast?

As the number of days since the couple’s disappearance climbs, DS Walker is joined by Rita’s older sister. A detective herself with Berlin CID, she has flown to Australia – desperate to find her sister before it’s too late.

Walker remains convinced there is more at play. Working in the organised crime unit has opened his eyes to the growing drug trade in Australia's remote interior. Could this be connected to that dark and violent world?

As temperatures soar, the search for Berndt and Rita becomes ever more urgent. If Walker does find the young couple, will it be too late?

This deeply atmospheric thriller is the gripping opening of a new crime series for fans of The Dry by Jane Harper, Cara Hunter and Chris Whitaker. - from Netgalley.com

I received this ARC at no cost from NEtgalley.com and am providing an unbiased review.

This appears to be the first novel from this author, as I could not find any other books by her. I beleive this is a good start to a possibly great series, or even stand-alone novels, based on our main character here. The setting is in Austrailia, so some phrases are new to me, though if I recall, some were explained in an easy way. Obviously it takes place in what they call the outback, which at the time of the year in the story, is drought-ridden and especially hot that summer, as two international hikers go missing enroute to a job they needed to work to extend their visas. Our main character is on leave near where the events happened, and I'm not saying much more about that.

The story kept me interested each time I picked up the story. It wasn't like a regular police thriller, and all the procedures where new and somewhat different to me (as I am in the US) it brought out some local flair. The actual storyline had me guessing as to what was going to happen next - would there be another abduction? Is the 'bad guy' going to show himself, and when? Or is it a 'bad girl' All in all I really enjoyed this read and look forward to more books with this character, or of a similar style. One of the best books I have read this year!

No comments: