Saturday, May 13, 2023

Book Review: "Legally Burned" by Jane Biteme

 

After nailing the biggest case of her career, Sloan Reynolds should be sipping some well-deserved smoked bourbon by the fireplace, right?

Yeah, right…

With love troubles, legal troubles, and every other freaking thing under the sun troubles, Sloan can’t seem to find a moment to catch her breath.

Add a few dead bodies, betrayal, the usual suspects, paranormal misbehavior, and a dash of internal organizational corruption, and you have the perfect supernatural concoction. And yeah, we’re not talking about a mixed drink.

With few friends, and even fewer places to turn for backup, Sloan must top her own best performance in short order.

Is she willing to pay a heavy price for the power needed to accomplish the impossible?

Join Sloan Reynolds on her second adventure in the Paranormal Justice for All series, and get lost in a world of legal ambiguity, witches, vampires, monsters, and the unapologetically supernatural.- from Netgalley.com

This eARC was provided by Netgalley.com and I am giving an unbiased review.

When I came across this book on Netgalley.com, I paused. The cover art was nice, title catchy, story plot interesting -and the author name...hilarious! I couldn't believe someone would (and could) publish under such a pseudonym. I had to find out more about this author, as I see from the story info that this is a second book. I found her website, and knew I just had to request and read this book (regardless it being a second in a series).

I read it as a stand-alone, and though there were some references to earlier events (I assume from book one) they were easily explained in short, so that this story could move on. I liked seeing a female character that shows determination, and a 'take no names' type attitude. So many I read about nowadays seem to be timid, 'oh did I do that' types, that just doesn't fit the model of character I would expect. As the main character being an AUSA, I thought the story idea was brilliant, and showed enough knowledge of that field of work it was believable to actually have a legal department to prosecute and hold accountable the vampires, and more, that exist.

I did feel a little lost at first with the use of veeri and vedma for vampires and witches, but after awhile was easily acclimated to it. I feel the author has created a nice world and environment that her characters easily were written into. The storyline was completely believable, and I look forward to a few more books in this series.

No comments: