Saturday, June 24, 2023

Book Review: "The Immortal Detective" by D. B. Woodling

 

Sometimes being immortal makes you wish you were dead.

Detective Celeste Crenshaw has survived her parents’ grisly murders, grueling and gender-biased police training, a battle with rogue vampires, and even her own death. While immortality might seem a dream come true, can she accept the strings attached?
Celeste spends the onset of her immortal life within the Hollow Earth, where ancient vampires known as The Elders hone her supernatural powers, but little do they know, Celeste isn’t wholly committed to granting eternal life to those deserving, regardless of her promise.
Upon a return home to her immortal lover, and the Kansas City Detective Squad, she battles mortal foes, not so unlike the demonic undead. And when a fellow detective falls victim to a murderous gang member, and her lover delivers a shocking ultimatum, Celeste not only faces gut-wrenching decisions but also the wrath of the Elders. - from Booksirens.com
I received this eARC from Booksirens.com and am providing an unbiased review.
When I initially came across this book, I thought it could be pretty interesting. Get some fantasy fiction going with vampires, that have a little bit different creation story and powers. Toss in some police work and crimes - could be a good fantasy, crime, thriller, vampire story. Well, it wasn't too bad of an idea.
At first, I felt kind of lost, as I was not aware there is a previous book that covers some details that were mentioned in this book. So I was putting it off to the writer's style, and was not going to be pleased if it was this 'detail empty' throughout the whole story. I liked some of the creation of a vampire, and how they obtain some of their powers process. A bit humorous of who these Elders were, but it is what it is. By the time our main character gets back to the regular human police force, and has a couple criminals apprehended, I was starting to lose interest. These Elders training her, assisting her when she is stressed at her job, making her into some super-cop idea...I just ... nah. So I skimmed the remaining part of the book, and probably lost much of what story there might have been.
I truly did like the concept of Vampirism and it's creation. Cover art looks nice, too. If this had been titled noting it was a second book in a series, or of a story world, I probably would not have requested to read it, as I had not even heard of the first story. 

No comments: