Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Book Review: "Joyland" by Stephen King


Set in a small-town North Carolina amusement park in 1973, Joyland tells the story of the summer in which college student Devin Jones comes to work as a carny and confronts the legacy of a vicious murder, the fate of a dying child, and the ways both will change his life forever. - from Amazon.com

King has returned to the style of writing I enjoyed with his earlier works of CARRIE, FIRESTARTER, etc. I fell into this while reading, and literally went through it in one sitting. I had just finished CARNIEPUNK, an anthology of carnival stories, and King's usage of carny language, and life, just jumped out to grab me. I felt drawn in to Jones (main character) as he dealt with life in general, and for the first time in a long time, I actually got a bit teary-eyed at the ending. Definitely a thriller, and a hard case crime read, that includes King's bit of twist! If you enjoyed THE COLORADO KID, you'll love this one, too!

No comments: