Saturday, August 31, 2013

Book Review: "Just One Damned Thing After Another" by Jodi Taylor


A story of history, time travel, love, friendship and tea. Meet the disaster-magnets at the St Mary's Institute of Historical Research as they ricochet around history, observing, documenting, drinking tea and, if possible, not dying. Follow the catastrophe-curve from eleventh-century London to World War I, and from the Cretaceous Period to the destruction of the Great Library at Alexandria. Discover History – The New Sex - from Amazon.com

I picked this one up while it was offered for free on Amazon, if I remember correctly. It was a day I was willing to risk reading something that the description was just too vague about. Once I started reading it, I got hooked. The story follows a lady named Max (short for Maxwell, her last name) as she gets to train at this special place called St. Mary's, which is an organization that has the ability to travel through time - specifically the past. Max is a 'Historian' who travels back to certain periods of time for major events to record how it truly happened. Volume one covers a few of her exploits, as things always have a way of going wrong around Max, and people end up hurt, killed, or ... well, leave some stuff to surprise you. I really enjoyed the book, and am looking forward to any future volumes.

No comments: