Monday, March 31, 2014

Book Review: "The Book of the Crowman" by Joseph D'Lacey


The world has been condemned. Only Gordon Black and The Crowman can redeem it.The search for the shadowy figure known only as the Crowman continues, as the Green Men prepare to rise up against the forces of the Ward.It is the Bright Day, a time long generations hence, when a peace has descended across the world.It is the Black Dawn, a time of environmental apocalypse, the earth wracked and dying. - from Amazon.com

I received an ebook copy from the author/publisher through NetGalley.com in exchange for a review.

This is the second and final (I think) book of THE BLACK DAWN. The first novel, BLACK FEATHERS I reviewed in a previous post. Since I was given the chance to read this one for free, I had to start from the beginning, so I would know what is going on. I may repeat some details from my review of the first novel, then again, I may just add stuff. 

This is the continuation of the early years of Gordon Black. He lives in a seemingly equal time frame of our current times, that has been struck by a sort of technological destruction. Two factions come out of this change: The Green Men, and The Ward. Gordon is searching for the Crowman, a symbolic, mythological person that is centered on man returning to nature. The Green Men support nature, The Ward are more for domination and technology. The typical Good vs Bad.

Megan is a girl seemingly about the same age as Gordon, who is in a future time of main story, learning to walk the "black feathered path", or in short, the way of the Crowman. Her duty is to chronicle the life of Gordon Black as shown to her via 'visions' from the Crowman. 

Most of this novel is of the climaxing and growth of Gordon Black, as he discovers the Crowman. It also brings the final confrontation of the Ward and the Green Men in a big battle. D'Lacey has written an interesting post-apocalyptic story, bringing in religious tones, as well as folk-lore, and of two young people coming of age. I felt it was a different version of a dystopian future compared to what other novels I have read. There were a few things I felt weren't cleared up completely, or at least, I felt I would have liked to known more of what happened, though they probably were not important to the main story line.  Overall, I felt it was well written, and worded so that even younger readers would be able to enjoy.

No comments: