Monday, January 23, 2023

Book Review: "The Quartz Night: Reign of Justice" by J. I. A. Thompson

Geoff Smith has always dreamed of becoming a knight, being the son of a blacksmith he has grown up with swords and armour but never had the chance to use them. On Princess Ramona’s seventeenth birthday Geoff entangles himself and his family in an assassination plot, in order to protect his family he must leave his home in the city and set out on a quest. Little does he realise his dreams will change the course of his life. - from Booksirens.com

This ARC was given to me by Booksirens.com and I am providing an unbiased review.

The cover art, and a short story description left me curious as I requested this book. However, I was just a bit let-down. This is definitely a young adult read, and I felt the story was just too "get lucky". It seemed every situation the main character found himself, there was always a perfect way out, that landed him into a better situation, or one that provided 'just what he needed'. I know many stories are written this way, but this one just felt it was being hammered into me instead of me finding out on my own.

Overall I found the plot line to be interesting to read, though the style left me wanting more. I would recommend for younger readers, or those that prefer more direct action of characters versus world-building and character background.

No comments: