Sunday, July 9, 2023

Book Review: "Runes of Battle" by G. N. Gudgion


 Adelais is on the run.

And the kingdom of Galmandie has never been more dangerous.

In every town square, people whisper of a girl who brought down lightning on her enemies. The king has placed a huge price on Adelais’s head and sent troops to hunt her down.

Adelais flees high into the mountains. But winter is closing in and she cannot hide for ever.

Far to the north, there is a chance of escape. Her homeland has risen in rebellion against Galmandie. To reach freedom and safety, Adelais must cross many miles of hostile territory with inquisitors and royal soldiers always close behind.

If she is captured, Adelais will be burned as a witch. But if she learns to control the storm of magic within her, she could be the spark that sets the whole country aflame.

Packed with intrigue, action and warring gods, The Rune Song Trilogy is perfect for fans of Robin Hobb, Mark Lawrence and Andrzej Sapkowski. - from Netgalley.com

This eARC was provided to me through Netgalley.com and I am providing an unbiased review.

This is the second book in the Rune Song Trilogy and continues the tale after the first book. I was not a huge fan of the first book, but I wanted to see where the author would take us in continuing this journey. Again this was written telling the story from the viewpoint of at least three people (a style I do not care for) and for me, the beginning was hard to get involved with in reading. I place some of that blame on me due to my preferences of single-person versus multi-sided tellings. I felt lost and had to put it aside for awhile. Coming back to it a second and third time, I just could not keep myself interested in the tale.

I am only giving this story a 3-star rating due to that I did not finish it. I did somewhat enjoy the first book, and feel this could be a good tale if only I could stay focused on the tale, and not how it is being told.

No comments: