Sunday, July 9, 2023

Book Review: "Truth in the Smoke" by S. P. Neeson


 

You're Fae. I could feel the magic when I walked in the door.

When a famous actress says this to me, I’m torn between thinking she’s insane and asking her for more details. But she leaves before I can do either and when I try to find her the next day, she’s dead and I’m left with more questions than before.
Why did she come to me? Why was she killed? Who did it? And was she crazy or did she know something I don’t?
I can try to forget it ever happened and move on with my life or I can break into her house, and the scene of her murder, to investigate.
What can I say? I’m really good at bad ideas. - from Booksirens.com
This eARC was provided to me through Booksirens.com and I am providing an unbiased review.
This is one of my favored types of reads: decent storyline, quick-moving, and overall a fairly fast read. Add that there will be at least a couple more books (if not more) in the series, it's even better. This starts out as a regular PI being hired to find something story, and then it starts getting interesting, as the PI here, doesn't know anything about 'other races' - meaning fae, etc. From there it gets a little far-fetched (as many stories these days do) with such a headstrong main character jumping head-first without knowledge of whom she might be against, just to 'right the wrongs' that have happened. 
Overall, it was a good read, and I look forward to the next book in the series. I may even look up the author for other works that may have already been written. There is some slow romance growing/blossoming/happening that doesn't get over-detailed. There some fantasy races involved, but best, it's a murder mystery, with huge complications.

No comments: