Monday, January 31, 2011

Movie Review : "Dominion:Prequel to the Exorcist"

Years before exorcising the devil from Regan MacNeil, Father Merrin (Stellan Skarsgård) experiences a crisis of faith, leaves the priesthood and heads to Africa on an archaeological expedition, where he unearths a perfectly preserved ancient church. The mysterious church, horrific events and the healing of a crippled boy (Billy Crawford) soon draw Merrin into a battle against pure evil in this creepy prequel to the 1973 horror classic. - taken from Netflix.com


I am not big into Horror films, but sometimes I enjoy one. Tonight, this was the best I could find in the instant play queue. It has been years since I have seen "The Exorcist" so some of that story is not coming to mind, though this film obviously did not have much to do with the original. Keeping in mind the whole story was more of a mind-set for the next one, it wasn't terrible. Events as they played out were pretty predictable, and there weren't as many scenes to make one jump at the action. Very low budget and few special effects. I felt it was more of a whole man and God thing than Man of God fighting Evil. Enjoyed the theme more than the movie. I give it 2 stars, well, I'll bump it to 3 just because from what I remember, it could have been the start of the mindset for Father Merrin in the original. Besides, I thought this might be an earlier movie for Skarsgard.

No comments: