Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Movie Review : "Lady in the Water"

When apartment building manager Cleveland Heep (Paul Giamatti) discovers a water nymph (Bryce Dallas Howard) residing in the complex's swimming pool, he rearranges his life to help her return to her mythical home. But if he fails, it may mean the end for her world -- and for his. Helmed by Oscar-nominated director M. Night Shyamalan, this unconventional bedtime story was first conceived as a fable for his children. - taken from Netflix.com


I had forgotten this one was in my queue until it showed up. Otherwise, I would have just taken it out. Shyamalan is not on the top of good directors list I have here after that last one of his I watched. Either way, I went forward and hit play for this one. I tried to follow it, like it was possible to see how an adult would be telling this as a fable at bedtime, or some such. It was a bit complicated and long to be one of those types of stories, though I did actually find myself enjoying portions of it. Giamatti has done several roles that I liked him in, and plays this one very well. The basic story is consistent, but as it seemed to build into more characters, I started to lose interest. Overall, I felt it was a bit long, and dry in dialogue. I will give notice though, being based as a story for children, it is allowed to almost come to an end "...and then..." with story fluctuation. Three stars.

No comments: