Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Book Review: "The Heretic" by Joseph Nassise


Cade Williams was just an ordinary cop until the night a fallen angel nearly slaughtered him.  Now he commands the Echo Team, a special ops squad of modern Templar knights, and the things they hunt are far darker and much more deadly than the criminals that he used to face.

When Templar bases are attacked by unknown forces, Cade and his team are called in to investigate. They discover a cabal of necromancers allied with the Adversary, the same fallen angel that murdered Cade's wife, Gabrielle, and left Cade himself on the verge of death several years before.  

In order to keep the power of an ancient relic from falling into the Adversary's hands, the Templars must take the battle directly to the enemy and in the process they give Cade a shot at the one thing he's been longing for since the night his wife was killed.

Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord, but Cade's got a score of his own to settle and he's not going to let the rules get in his way... - from Amazon.com

I was a bit surprised by this one. The story synopsis had sounded to me like the author was trying to combine too many elements in a story: ancient angelic weapons/relics, fallen angels, paranormal abilities, Templars, and necromancy ... I am sure I am missing a few others things, too. But it was free (at least at the time) through Amazon, so I downloaded it, and I finally got around to reading it. 

I wished I hadn't waited so long. Nassise does a great job of keeping my attention as the story progresses. There are a couple areas where I questioned the reasoning behind some actions, or parts of the story, but am hoping that these will be revealed somewhere in the books that follow this one in this series.

No comments: