Friday, February 28, 2014

Book Review: "The Tree-Shepherd's Daughter" by Gillian Summers


When her mother dies, fifteen-year-old Keelie Heartwood is forced to leave her beloved California to live with her nomadic father at a renaissance festival in Colorado. After arriving, Keelie finds men in tights and women in trailer trash-tight bodices roaming half-drunk, calling each other lady and lord even after closing time! Playacting the Dark Ages is an L.A. girl’s worst nightmare.
Keelie has a plan to ditch this medieval geekland ASAP, but while she plots, strange things start happening—eerie, yet familiar. When Keelie starts seeing fairies and communicating with trees, she uncovers a secret that links her to a community of elves. As Keelie tries to come to grips with her elfin roots, disaster strikes, and Keelie’s identity isn’t the only thing that’s threatened.
One part human determination and one part elfin magic, Keelie Heartwood is a witty new heroine in a world where fantasy and reality mix with extraordinary results. - from Amazon.com

The synopsis of this one sounded somewhat interesting to me, even if it more Young Adult themed, so I picked it up to read. Right from the start I was introduced to the main character, who to me seemed nothing but a spoiled, whiny brat. From there, I did enjoy the story, as far as how magic is introduced, the different kinds of magic and types of people ... all at a Ren Fair of all places. I just couldn't get away from this whiny brat though. IT began to get a bit irritating.

Overall, it was an enjoyable read, and when I have the chance, I will be checking out possible other books in this series (I have not looked yet to see if there are more). I thought the author's creativity in putting a fantasy/magic story in a modern day setting was done very well.

No comments: