Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Book Review: "A Killing Frost" by Seanan McGuire

 


When October is informed that Simon Torquill—legally her father, due to Faerie's archaic marriage traditions—must be invited to her wedding or risk the ceremony throwing the Kingdom in the Mists into political turmoil, she finds herself setting out on a quest she was not yet prepared to undertake for the sake of her future.... and the man who represents her family's past. - from Goodreads.com

This is book 14 in the October Daye series, so if you are not familiar, there is a strong possibility of spoilers.

With most books, if there is a foreword, I usually skip to see who wrote it, and might go back and read it - depends on my mode. I saw this book had one, by the author, so I went back and skimmed it. About how hard it is to write keeping a series this long, yadda yadda yadda. I can understand that... I just want to get to the book and see what happens!

That being said, after finishing the book, I truly see what McGuire means about the story going somewhere. Truly, there is an event that is "on the horizon" and probably has been in some way shape or form, for several books. But short of writing that... then where does one go? Write about their children, do a spin-off of another character, etc etc. Yeah, there could be money in that.... but it wouldn't be October Daye.

McGuire has done a wonderful job in keeping up with the MC and the changes that have been wrought/brought into her life as the series has progressed. The whole world that has been built, and the many, many other characters that even I have to reference to remember what they are to whom... it is just an expansive amount of work. I am amazed, and honestly, quite love this series. 

Each book could be read as a stand-alone, as McGuire provides bits of background for the more complicated previous/past events, but I always felt a series is better read in order.... excluding the novellas in between. In fact, I was a bit surprised as the copy I read included a novella at the end, regarding some characters that were more in the forefront for this story. Either way, if this series were to end with this work, I would be let-down, but would understand. Here's to hoping there is one more story yet to finish for October!

No comments: