Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Book Review: "Night Stalker" by B.R. Kingsolver


 All I want is to pay the rent and find a boyfriend. But an insane vampire thinks I hold the key to his takeover of the city, and I have a new stalker.

At least for now, I’ve dodged the Illuminati’s Hunters, but life is still a little too challenging. Rival vampire lords want to use me against each other, and the mysterious members of the Columbia Club are offering bounties for vampires and werewolves.

I'm lucky that the gang at Rosie's has my back, because I'm going to need them. - from Goodreads.com

This is the second novel in the Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill series.

Erin is the main character, main bartender, "retired" Hunter from the Illuminati, and all-around bad-ass. Again she finds herself being the Police of the paranormal problems in and around Westport, where she is learning to call home after running from the Illuminati. Most of that is covered in the first book, though there is a little more background revealed in snippets in this one. Either way, there is a new Vampire in town that is forcing Erin to bring the current vampires in to him, so he can become the Master Vampire. Needless to say, the blackmail he uses against her seems viable.

This second book came across as being written better. I felt the character depth improved, including providing some better background story, and a little more insight as to their emotional/thought process. There is still some vagueries that may be cleared up in future installments, as if the author wants the reader to feel "empty" like the main character is naive about general things in life. Story line progresses well with the main character adding in more depth to friendships/relationships. Not much world building, as most of it still takes place in the seemingly small town.

Some of the expectations of story details are skewed. Westport is described as small, but I guess that is relative to where one was raised. It reads more like a large town, though not a metropolis. So when the story reads about distances traveled, and how quick it is to get to the forests, I get irritated. It is not the first story I have read that combines multiple races of paranormal all living in comfort (seemingly) with each other as neighbors. Considering most of the first two books are delaing with a vampire/werewolf problem, I expect the Fae to have major issues in one of the upcoming to read books. Also a reveal about what our main character really is, as she supposedly has some powers that "surprise" others.



No comments: