Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Book Review: "Shadow Hunter" by B.R. Kingsolver

 


When my magic manifested at puberty, my parents sold me to the Illuminati. They trained me as an assassin, spy, and thief. But when they sent me to steal a magical artifact that reveals Truth in all things, I discovered that I was working for the Dark and not the Light. The Illuminati trained me well, and paid the ultimate price for their deception.

Thousands of miles away, I landed a job in a quirky little bar. But the scattered remnants of the Order still strive for world domination, and no one leaves the Illuminati alive. - from Goodreads.com

This is the first book in the Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill series.

Erin is the main character in this tale, and like the brief story description above, the book was about that much illuminating. Basic story is she "leaves" the Illuminati, runs across the country, lands a job in a paranormal bar as a bartender. Then all the problems of the paranormal world drop in her lap and she is the hero at the end of the story. Well, it reads that way, and pans out that way, but the read to get there is pretty mediocre.

I actually started this series, knowing that there are at least five books to the story. I happened to come across it looking for some small series to read, and read descriptions on 2-3 of the books, to try to see a story line length. It sounded good enough to start, and though this first book is lacking a bit on depth of character background (which does pick up) it conveys an interesting story, with an origination line that is fantastical, but believable in a paranormal story.

Book Two does help expand a little more on character depth, and brings in more secondary characters.


No comments: